Proper sewage cleanup is very important and it should be done immediately. This is because sewage water contains microbes such as bacteria and viruses that may cause serious illnesses. As such, you need to take appropriate measures immediately especially if sewage starts leaking inside your home or even business premises.
Proper sewage cleanup entails the use different techniques that are aimed at restoring the building to its safe and usable condition. In most cases, the bad smell from the sewage causes discomfort which drives people away from a building.
Effective Sewage Cleanup
To cleanup sewage effectively, you need to start by planning the cleanup process. This entails identifying the areas that the sewage may have spread to.
Generally, the steps of cleaning up sewage can be described as follows:
- Wear protective clothing before entering the areas of the building where the sewage has spread to. This includes waterproof gloves and rubber boots and they should be worn before entering the affected places or touching any item that has come into contact with the sewage.
- Inspect the scope of the sewage contamination in the property. This includes checking the exterior and interiors of the building to ensure that you plan the cleanup process properly.
- Decide on the persons that are going to do the cleanup. You can do it yourself or hire professionals to do this. It is highly advisable that you hire a professional for the job because these have the necessary skills, experience, and equipment. However, if you are going to do the cleanup, take appropriate measures to ensure your safety.
- Remove furnishings and other items from the places where the sewage has spread to in the property. This includes items that cannot be salvaged such as wet padding and carpets. These should be removed so that they can be disposed of properly. They should be collected using plastic bags so that they can be discarded properly. Salvageable items such as plastic items, dishes and some furniture pieces should be removed, taken to a safe place and cleaned properly.
- Avoid cross-contamination. This entails taking measures that prevent the spread of sewage to places that have not been affected by sewage. To do this, you should close doors that link contaminated rooms to non-contaminated rooms. Take appropriate measures when handling different items because some can be in the affected areas but without contact with the sewage.
- Remove sewage content. This entails removing porous materials such as card boards, clothes, mattresses, web books, upholstered furniture and sewage water. These should be collected using plastic bags. Standing sewage water should also be removed together with solid waste and discarded properly. The affected area should then be prepared properly for drying.
- Wash the contaminated areas. This should be done after removing all items in the contaminated area as well as the sewage water. Household detergent can be used to clean the affected places. Sewage dirt and contamination should be removed in all areas.
- Dry the areas affected as fast as possible. Dehumidifiers and portable fans should be used to dry the wet places after sewage cleanup. Additionally, windows should be opened especially to let in fresh air.
- Use disinfectants for the contaminated places. Professional sewage cleaners use different disinfectants and sanitizers which are more than diluted bleach. The choice depends on the materials and surfaces that need treatment. Nevertheless, it is important to use an effective disinfectant.
- Check equipment. You should check appliances, fixtures, and water supply line to ensure that they are not contaminated. If contaminated, clean them and disinfect them as well. Thus, you should inspect all areas in your home to ensure that there is no equipment or parts that are left with sewage water or dirt.
Once you are done with sewage cleanup, you need to take appropriate measures to prevent a future leak. This entails ensuring that you have appropriate sewer backup and contacting professional plumbers to check your sewer line regularly.
Cleaning Items after Sewage Cleanup
Once you have cleaned up sewage in your home, you should now clean the items that may have come into contact with the sewage. You should also wear protective clothing before starting this process.
- Wash all clothing and linens using hot water or dry clean them professionally.
- If there are items that you cannot clean using a dry cleaner or hot water adequately, discard them. Such items include mattresses, wall coverings, carpeting and upholstered furniture.
- Clean hard-surfaced floors, walls and other surfaces using water and soap. Disinfect them using the appropriate product and adequate amount of water and then dry them properly to prevent mold growth.
- Avoid eating food that might have been in your home before the sewage breakup.
During the cleanup process, children should be kept away from the contaminated home or areas. If sewage has spread to a relatively large area, it is advisable to contact a registered septic or utility contractor to do the cleanup.
Why Hire a Professional Sewage Cleanup Service?
There are many reasons why you should hire professionals for sewage cleanup in your home. A professional cleanup service is offered by experts who know how to inspect buildings to determine the extent of contamination. These experts also observe high safety standards during the cleanup process. They also use the right equipment and products during the cleanup process. As such, their results are the best ad their cleanup process is efficient.
Once you hire professionals, your sewage water cleanup process will be quick and all sewage dirt will be removed from your home. They will also use the right equipment to dry your home and this will prevent growth of mold and future problems in your home. They will also use the right products to keep your home safe from fungi, mold, parasites, viruses and bacteria that may be caused by the sewage. Visit online sources for more information about sewage cleanup.
When you are in need of a water damage restoration company in Jupiter, Melbourne, Port St. Lucie, Stuart, Vero Beach, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, or Wellington FL or in Asheville, NC contact Secure Restoration.